Monday, April 11, 2011

I don't speak as many languages as I am currently eating.

Inside my fridge, it looks like a U.N. Conference.

Many countries are represented, but unlike the U.N., they are all getting along well with each other.

Sunday, the day of rest, found me in the kitchen. Hamburgers for the boys, chili for my girl, various baked goods for snacks, etc. But what did I feel like?

Well, offhand, I felt achey, tired, grumpy, slightly sick and hungry. Not a good way to feel. But the idea of cooking something new has always boosted my spirits, and I will pretty much drag myself into the kitchen any time of day.

And so I did.

I wanted something filling, spicey, flavorful and warming. Sounds like a day for Indian food. So Masoor Dal was just about right. I know, that's what you were thinking about cooking too, right?

Nothing says comfort like a heaping big bowl of red lentils. So I started with red lentils, that look orange, but are really red, and turn green when cooked. Why not start with traditional green lentils then? Because lentils have their own taste, and cooking properties depending on color. Red lentils fall apart when cooked, making them just right for dipping, spreading or soup. Now, I didn't have all the ingredients for the Dal, so I improvised. Instead or star anise, cardamom and cloves, I chose allspice and tumeric. Add in some chili pepper, garlic cloves and pepper, and you have the beginnings of some good comfort food. 1 hour later, it smelled divine. Never be afraid to substitute spices, you may find out it tastes better than you imagined.

But what should I serve it over? Something hearty like potatos, quinoa or rice - but with a flavor that could match the Dal, but not overpower it. I always have brown rice in the freezer and coconut milk in the pantry. So off to Thailand. For Coconut Rice and nothing else. Coconut rice is rice, simmered in coconut milk and water. OK, you could have deduced that right away, but making it sounds a lot more complicated than it is. For those of you that have never had it, it doesn't taste like an Almond Joy bar. There is no sugar in it, unless you want to make rice pudding. That may be tomorrows breakfast. The coconut milk adds a subtle, creamy taste and aroma. The mouth-feel is very different than regular dry old rice. That is a good thing.

So, dal over coconut rice it was. The coconut rice tends to balance the spiciness of the dal. I added a massive handful of chopped cilantro over the dal, and a splattering of homemade kefir and dug in. Yum. Comfort food. For me.

Breakfast today was not dal, but it could have been..............It was oatmeal and kefir pancakes. The book gives a recipe for savory oatmeal pancakes,which I will try - but I like something sweet in the morning. Since I had leftover Irish oats from the fried oatmeal yesterday, I was in business. 10 minutes later, I was eating little circles of heaven. Browned lightly and topped with butter and a smidge of rasberry jam, I could only eat half a plateful they were so filling. I see a late night snack coming......

Oh, did I mention I still have leftover sauteed greek olives in the fridge? It's like eating at EPCOT, only more tasty and not as expensive. I'll save my total $$ for eating until the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment