Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ugly Food and Strange Dreams Ahead........

Sauteed portabello mushrooms may be one of the ugliest foods on the planet. And I just ate four of them.

With half an onion too.

And several tablespoons of butter.

I am now assured of some crazy dreams tonight. Seriously.

Coming home late from a church class tonight, and not having much to eat all day - I was starving. I passed on the previous days dal and rice, because I thought it was too late for spicy food...... So I ate mushrooms instead. Well, they were easy to make and the cast iron skillet makes them all the better.

Throwing in a large pat of butter in a hot skillet smells yummy, then add some sliced onions and it gets better. Throw in sliced portabellos and it is one of nature's finest combinations. Ever walked into a restaurant or buffet where they have these tasty treats just waiting to be served? It makes you hungry immediately.

I have only had giant mushrooms a few times. I know that for a veg it can double as a steak. Interesting. So I left two whole. Grilled them in the pan, and they looked so gross.

Exactly what I wanted them to look like.

Plated them with the onions, and turned around to turn off the stove. Turned back around and they had deflated! All the water, butter, and onion-y goodness had drained out of them on the plate. Bonus! Wait....If I wasn't gluten-free I would have sopped up that juice with some crusty sourdough bread. But now? Ahhhh, bread.....

Portabellos retain a firm texture when cooked, and whole ones slice up into steak like bites. Don't believe me? I let my carnivore daughter poke at it for a bit. She stayed around a little too long, and I offered her a bite. Now, my daughter turns down no food. Seriously. I have tried to raise her to try everything once, and not judge a food by the appearance. She thought the taste was interesting and needed spices. We agreed that this side dish is supposed to be neutral. Good neutral.

So, as it becomes later and later, and I quiet down for the night I am surprisingly full by my simple dinner. OK, don't laugh at my definition of dinner. It's been a week already, and it's only Wednesday. It was quick, easy and tasty.

Let's see what happens tonight when I close my eyes. Something weird, I am sure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment